Friday, February 9, 2007

My Mother's






I thought I would share some pictures taken at my mothers home. The home she lives in now my parents build and moved into in Oct 1980. Before this house they raised their 5 children in an old drafty 2 story farm house built in the late 1800s. To me it seemed like building this house was a major accomplishment for them. Dad tried to retire but for the next several years still did a lot of farm work with my brothers. Towards the end of his life he worked only during spring planting and fall harvest. The last couple of years of his life he fought cancer with everything he had. But as you all know sometimes you run out of options.

Back to mom's yard and garden. Last year 2006 at the age of 83 she decided that she was tired of planting a vegetable garden and maybe she would just do a flower garden. So in the spring my sister and I went to her house tilled the garden and moved her rose bushes to the garden so they wouldn't have to fight the trees for water. As long as I can remember she has grown Canna's. So my sister and I got the roots out of the root cellar and planted them. We laid soaker hoses in the rows with the roses and Cannas so all she would have to do is hook the hose up and water them. I wish I had a picture of her garden. She loves her house yard and garden. I am so happy to be able to help take care of it. She is so appreciative of all the work my brothers and sisters do but also our spouses and partners. My partner lost his mother a couple of years ago after a troubled childhood. Even though my mother doesn't know our relationship she treats him like one of the family. He hates helping me mow her yard but deep down I think he treasures the time spent there.

No comments: