Thursday, May 3, 2007

New Bed





Here is the latest flower bed I have added to the yard. It ties in nicely with the trellis. One thing that didn't make it into the pic's was a window box under the window.
The window box came from Gardener Supply Company, http://www.gardeners.com/. It is a self watering window box. It has a reserve at the bottom of the box that you keep filled. I will let you know how it works.
The basic ideal for this flower bed was to create something a little more formal for the cottage garden, which is what I am calling my col loge of plants that are in the other beds. I had a hard time deciding on what to put on either side of the windows. I looked at spiral trimmed evergreens, some sort of weeping tree, hydrangea tree and trellis on the house with roses climbing on them. What I decide on was tree roses from Jackson Perkins. Here is the website http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/, search for Diana tree rose. I let Scott pick which one he wanted of the 36 inch tree roses and he choose Diana Princess of Whales. I hope it works out ok. This is the first time I have had a tree rose and I am not sure how to over winter it.
Along with the tree roses I planted Azaleas. I picked these up at Lowe's after the frost when they were marked down to $1.99 each. I got 1 gallon pots of 4 light pink, 3 hot pink and 2 white. Here again I have not had much experience with Azaleas. The deer ate the only other ones I planted. I will add some annuals to give it color during the summer. Not sure yet what I will put in the window box. It is on the east, south east side of the house. I will add some pic's when it is complet so you can check out the finished product.
One fatality to the project is the spinker head that was next to the porch. Yes I said was. You know those little tillers can till up just about anything. Well it needed to be moved anyway. Other wise the 3 hot pink asaleas would have blocked the spray. Needless to say the sprinkler people have been called. I am sure that won't be cheap. Scott couldn't say much since he wacked one up with the edger along the side of the drive way. He says that it is the sprinker company fault for putting it so close to the drive. I say it is those crazy edger divers. They are worse than the blue hair drivers!!!(ok poor excuse for humor, but I tried)
I also want to point out and thank my assistant, he's in the last pic, for all his help and support during the digging and prep work on the bed. He likes to give out lots of kisses!! :)

4 comments:

lisa said...

Wow! You sure are making some excellent progress! Your home will be a gardener's paradise in no time!

Unknown said...

Tell Scott he made a good choice with the rose tree. How much would it cost me to have you come and make some new beds for me. Jane

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Still working hard I see. Love the shape of the new flower bed. BTW I call my garden assistant the under-gardener. ;-)

I'm interested to see how the self watering windowbox will do, so keep us posted on that!

KC MO Garden Guy said...

Lisa - Thanks, not sure what my definition of a gardener's paradise is but some day I won't have to work so hard it will all be maintenance.

Jane - Sorry but Scott has all my vacation planned for the rest of the year. But we can plan on next year!!

Yolanda - Does your garden assistant leave you presents in the yard that you have to pick up before you mow? At least he is a good kisser!!
Will keep you posted on the self watering windowbox.