Thursday, May 3, 2007

Innovative retaining wall



Just wanted to pass on what I did with the sod I dug up when I made the flower bed in the front of the house. I was just dumping it at the edge of the woods in the back of the house. The problem with just dumping it was that some of it would roll down the hill into the woods and I want it to stay at the edge. The hill drops off at the back of the house, as I tried to show in the first pick, and I wanted to level this off somehow anyway. I don't know how this came into my mind but I thought why not stack the pieces into a wall? I mean they used to make houses out of sod in the pioneer days. So that is what I did. Not sure if it will work but I thought it was worth a try. I put the grass side down, since it is under the trees and grass doesn't grow there very well anyway and will cover it up with dirt and some kind of ground cover.

No comments: