Monday, May 19, 2008

What is this plant???

If you know what this plant is called let me know. The story behind them is this. Back last September I had ordered flowers to be sent to Scott at work. These two were part of the filler in the arrangement. After the flowers in the arrangement died these two looked good and I were planning a party so I thought I might be able to use them in an arrangement. Well I put them in water but didn't use them. The next thing I noticed they had sprouted roots. The roots were a couple of inches wrong and I potted them up. They didn't grow any just sat there for the winter and then in March they started growing. I figure they are tropical plants of some sort but if anyone could help me out it would be appreciated.

3 comments:

Phillip Oliver said...

It looks like acuba japonica. Was it supposed to be a houseplant? If that is indeed what it is, we grow it here outdoors in the shade. It can get up to 5 or 6 feet tall. Do a Google search and see if think that is it.

Wurzerl said...

Hi Cliff, I also think that your plants are Aucuba japonica "Crotonifolia".
The plants are very good in soil an prefer shady or half shady places (the Aucubas with only green leaves also like sun). It' s also possible to plant it in a pot.
Have a great week Wurzerl

Randy said...

Cliff,
That make a beautiful shrub or at least I've always thought so. I think some people also call it a Gold Dust Aucuba.